Car insurance is a necessity, but it doesn’t have to break the bank.
These days, every motorist is looking to save on their auto insurance premiums. Fortunately, from brand new permit-holding teens to aging seniors, there are plenty of ways in which your car insurance doesn’t have to break the bank, cost a fortune, or any other financial metaphor.
Check out these ways you may be able to save on your auto insurance:
Choosing Your Car:
- Pick a car with a high rating of safety features (dual airbags, motorized seatbelts, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, and daytime running lights).
- Selecting a hybrid or ‘green’ car may mean you receive discounts on your premiums.
- Flashy, brand new, and expensive cars will cost more to insure as they would cost more to repair and replace.
- Good Student Discounts apply for those receiving good grades in school or college.
- Good Driver Discounts are available for those who have sustained a clean driving record.
- Senior Discount is for mature drivers, typically over the age of 50 or 55.
- Military Discounts may be available for the individual, or the family.
Selecting Your Policy:
- Bundle your insurance policies together as insurers will often reduce rates if you insure your home, auto, RV, watercraft, and more with them.
- Increase your deductible – but only if you can afford to pay that cost out of pocket should an accident occur.
- Drop collision coverage if you have an older car that has little monetary value.
- Review your insurance annually, as your lifestyle changes.
- Park your car in a garage as some insurers will let you save a couple of dollars this way.
- Install a driver monitoring device to track your mileage, speed, and frequency of driving.