The Dangers of Driving Under the Influence – And How to Avoid ItPosted on December 6, 2018
Top tips to get behind the wheel safe and sober.
Tis the season to celebrate the holidays with friends and family. While the champagne may be flowing, it’s important that you don’t get behind the wheel of your car after the festivities. Driving under the influence of alcohol, heavy medication, or drugs is simply a recipe for disaster. Not only could you endanger yourself, but others on the road, too.
Share these tips to help promote driving safety throughout the holiday season.
Prevent Drinking and Driving:
- Choose a designated driver who will stay sober throughout the entire evening.
- Ask for a ride.
- Book a taxi or Uber.
- Protect others by taking their keys away if they are planning on driving even though they have been drinking.
When Hosting a Party:
- Offer guests plenty of non-alcoholic beverages like water and juice.
- Serve plenty of food.
- Arrange alternative transportation for those who were going to drive but have been drinking.
- Limit a guest’s alcohol intake if they have been drinking too much.
Staying Safe on the Roads:
Watch for these tell-tale signs that indicate a driver could be under the influence:
- Driving very slowly
- Braking erratically
- Making wide turns
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or in the middle of two lanes
- Almost striking an object or vehicle
Stay safe behind the wheel and on the roads. If you suspect someone is driving under the influence, pull over, turn off your vehicle, and call 911. For help securing auto insurance in your local area, visit the team at Tompkins Insurance Agencies.